|Museum Curator, Elizabeth Murfitt, greets visitors at the door of the 1888 Police Commissioners' Residence.|
Members of the Heathcote McIvor Historical Society Inc are opening buildings in the Camp Hill Historic Precinct, 19 Herriot Street, Heathcote every day from 10 am to 3 pm during History Week 2012. Items exhibited are introduced by the curator in a very engaging way.
A particular item of note in the Lockup is a WW1 Honour Roll from a local, but now closed school. The Roll was written and decorated by a calligrapher, but had been badly insect damaged. A grant from the Department of Veterans' Affairs allowed this item to be beautifully re-created, as the original was too far gone to be restored. Both are on display in one of the cells, along with other local Honour Rolls.
|The Heathcote Lockup, built in 1861.|
Another cell contains the business ledgers and invoices of a local busines, with an intriguing tale of how they came to be discovered and donated to the Heathcote McIvor Historical Society.
The Lockup itself is of considerable interest for the very fine stonemasonry.
|A view of the hall of the lockup, Commissioner's office at the end.|
The Society also has a growing collection of material for local history research.